Ending Your Tenancy
If you are moving and you need to end your tenancy you need to let us know in writing.
You must give us a minimum of 28 days notice in writing of your wish to end your tenancy.
What You Need To Do
You need to tell us by letter or by completing our end of tenancy form. If you are a joint tenant both tenants must complete the form.
Your notice period begins from the date we receive your written notice and you will still have to pay your rent until the termination (end) date even if you move out before then
What You Need To Tell Us:
- Date you will move out of the property
- Your new address
- Details of gas and electricity suppliers
- When will it be convenient for us to carry out a tenancy inspection before you move out
What Happens Next?
Once we receive your written notice, we will write to you confirming the date your tenancy will end. We will then make arrangements for a housing officer to carry out an inspection of your property to make sure it is suitable to rent to another tenant.
We also carry out another property inspection once you have moved out. This is to assess if any further work needs to be done to the property before a new tenant can move in.
If there are any repairs to the property that were your responsibility, you will be notified of these and you may be charged for the work.
Before You Leave
There are a few things you need to do before your tenancy ends:
- Make sure the rent is paid up to the date the tenancy ends
- Ensure the property is cleared of all belongings, is clean/tidy, in a good decorative order and if you have a garden it is clear and not overgrown.
- Return all sets of keys to the property to OTHA no later than the tenancy end date, if you hold keys for any longer you will be charged rent until they are returned.
- Tell the council tax and housing benefit team at your local council you are moving
- Take final meter readings and provide them to your supplier, if you have prepayment meters leave the card/token for these
- Ensure all outstanding repairs identified during your termination visit have been carried out
- Leave the property secure with all doors locked
- Ensure all who need to know have your new address
Request To End Your Tenancy
To end your tenancy please download, complete and return the application form or write to us at Oak Tree Housing Association, 41 High Street, Greenock, PA15 1NR.